Parent Visa

Parent Visa

About This Visa

Australian citizens or permanent residents can sponsor their Parent(s) for Australian permanent residence through Parent Visas.

Please note that, at the time of writing, non-contributory parent visa applications are able to be lodged having been closed in June 2014 and re-opened in October 2014. However, advice should be taken as to whether they are / will be available at the date of your intended parent visa lodgement.

Do I Lodge in or outside of Australia

Parent visas can only be lodged in Australia where one parent is over 65 years (Aged Parent Visa). ‘Condition 8503 – No further Stay’ attaching to a visa may also stop a parent, who is otherwise eligible, from applying in Australia.


The main criteria are as follows:

  • Parent must be sponsored by an Australian citizen or permanent resident child.
  • The child must be settled in Australia meaning, under policy, lawfully resident for at least 2 years
  • Parent must satisfy the balance of family test meaning the total of children permanently resident in Australia must be:
  • The same as, or more than, the number of their children living out of Australia; or
  • More than the largest number of children living in any single country other than Australia.

An assurance of support must be paid.

Parent Categories

The Australian government has introduced “contributory” parent visa categories, which require the payment of a high application fee to cover medical expenses

There are two types of contributory parent visa:

Parent Visa – this visa must be lodged outside of Australia. The visa charge is comparatively low but standard processing time frames for parent visas are very long and therefore, depending on your financial circumstances, it is advisable to consider lodging a contributory parent visa to reduce waiting times significantly. Attempts to close this visa pathway may continue.

Aged Parent Visa – this visa must be lodged in Australia. The parent applying must be in Australia and will be granted a bridging visa to remain in Australia during the visa processing. The visa charge is comparatively low (a few thousand dollars) compared to the Contributory parent visas but attempts to close this visa pathway may continue.

Contributory Parent: This is a permanent visa which costs almost $50,000 per parent, can be lodged in Australia if you are 65 years+ (aged parent) and is generally processed within 2 years of the date of the application.

Contributory Parent (Temporary) to Permanent: Applying for this visa allows you to split the cost of applying for a Contributory Permanent Visa over 2 stages. It is around half the cost of the permanent contributory parent and you would normally move to apply within the 2 year visa period for a permanent contributory parent visa.

Why use ARMEES ?

Parent visas can be refused for a number of reasons. The Parent Visa application also has strict criteria which all must be met and only very limited waiver provisions for age, English language and skill requirements exist.

It is essential that the application is assessed, structured and lodged in a way to satisfy all applicable DIBP law and policy. ARMEES has years of experience handling the most complex cases and achieving positive outcomes in circumstances where the applicant would have failed if we were not involved.

What to do next and how to apply?

Getting the right advice upfront is essential so contact for a free no obligation discussion with one of our advisors who are ready and waiting to assist you applying for your visa.

We will assess your situation on an individual basis and provide you with the best advice to make your stay in Australia hassle-free.